- Can we convert the existing text field to the Auto Number field?
Yes, e.g. we can update the Last Name attribute of the lead’s data type to be of Auto number from Text.
- Can we convert the auto number field back to the normal text field?
- Can the auto number field have duplicate values?
Yes, the platform allows having more than one record to have the same value. It doesn’t throw an error.
Multiple lead records have null values for the auto number field as shown below.
- What if the Seed value increases than the digits specified?
The platform will assign the next value and will not throw an exception.
- Can we change the format of the existing auto number field?
It will affect any new records created.
- What other things we can do with the auto number fields?
We can make the field read–only in the form so that users do enter the values manually, we make the field required and for uniqueness, we can enable alternate keys on it.
- What is the min and max length of the RANDSTRING placeholders?
- What about maximum seed value?
The auto number field is similar to a text field, it is different in that it generates a unique number when there is no value specified for it.
Get all details here –
Hope it helps..
8 thoughts on “Few key points – Auto Number field in Dataverse (Dynamics 365 CE / CRM)”
Great Compilation of important points.
Is it possible to use local time instead of utc with the autonumber ?
LikeLiked by 1 person
seems limited to DataTimeUTC
We can specify the standard format for date time though – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/base-types/standard-date-and-time-format-strings