Let us look at a simple example to understand.
- Suppose we have a custom entity name Demo Entity.
- Create a new single line of text field named Alternate Key Field.
- Create a new Alternate Key Field and specify the above field for it.
- Click on “Create index for My Alternate Keys for entity Demo Entity” which will create an Index in CRM’s Database.
- Let us update the following record using Alternate Key
- Sample code
- Updated record
- Currently alternate key can only be defined on field type – string, integer and decimal.
- The alternate key can be used for Entity Reference as well, wherein instead of specifying GUID we can now use alternate key.
Hope it helps..