Recently in one of our projects, we had proposed Dynamics 365 for Phone / Tablet as the device for our sales user. The user will be capturing the image of the customer’s document and will be attaching it in notes, which will then later be moved to the document management system.
Here, one of the requirements was to merge / combine all the images that are attached to the notes for a particular record into a single document.
Here we can make use of Word Template to achieve the same.
Open the entity’s (e.g. lead) record for which we want to create the word template.
- Click on Download Template to design the word template.
- Select Note as the related entity.
- In the word document, go to Developer Tab and click on XML Mapping Pane ribbon button.
- Insert a table and select its row.
- Select the appropriate XML part from the drop down and navigate to Lead_Annotation child node in the XML Mapping section.
- And map it to the row selected as shown below.
- This is how the table would appear
- Next add the documentbody à Insert Content Control à Picture to one of its columns to display the images.
- This is how it would appear
- We can also add additional fields of notes if needed.
- Save the template.
- Go to Settings à Template and upload the template.
- To test it, let us go open the lead record which has 3 different notes with image attached as shown below.
- Now let us generate the document based on the template uploaded.
- The document will show all the images attached to the notes.
- We can increase the size of the picture and remove the border from the table to make it appear better.
Now coming back to Dynamics 365 for Phone, the Word Template is not supported on these devices. So, we had to somehow automate this part for the users using these devices, which I’d cover in the next blog post.
Get more detail on attachments here à
Hope it helps..