Missing RemoveListMembersListRequest in CRM.

In one of our recent implementations, we were working with Marketing List which could be in millions.

So we had the recent request wherein we split the marketing list into groups.

For adding members to a marketing list we have the following request

AddListMembersListRequest 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.crm.sdk.messages.addlistmemberslistrequest.aspx

which is quite efficient as we can add multiple members in a single request.

However, when it comes to removing a member from marketing, we do not have a corresponding Remove request like RemoveListMembersListRequest.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.crm.sdk.messages.removememberlistrequest.aspx

We only have RemoveMemberListRequest, which only removes 1 member at a time, which is highly inefficient when we are taking in consideration large number of records.

Kindly vote up for this idea !!

https://ideas.dynamics.com/ideas/dynamics-crm/ID0002529

More details

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5d700a43-0c57-4a47-9c8e-192c70d30a2d/removememberlistrequest-causes-sql-timeout-error?forum=crmdevelopment

Using Shared Mailbox and Queue in CRM for implementing generic email address in Dynamics 365 and Exchange Online.

Recently, we had a requirement to send email to customers using a generic email address like donotreply@domain.com from Dynamics CRM (& Exchange Online).

The way we can implement this is through Shared Mailbox and Queue in CRM Online.

Log in to the Administration Portal

https://portal.office.com/adminportal/home#/homepage

Select Shared mailboxes

Members can be added to the Shared Mailbox

Now back in CRM assign the email id to a particular queue.

Now sending an email activity with From as Queue and to as one of the user inside CRM.

Open the user’s mail box.

Make sure we have done Test and Enabled Mailbox for the Shared Email Box and have set Incoming and Outgoing Email as Server-Side Synchronization.

Hope it helps..

App not accessible to certain users in Dynamics 365 (CRM)

Recently we created a new App for one our clients and gave permission to appropriate security roles to access those App.

But still some users were not able to access the App.

Eventually we realized the Security Roles (custom one) assigned was not having Read permission on App to access it.

This fixed the issue.

Hope it helps..

Status not getting updated using SetStateRequest in Dynamics 365.

Hi,

We were recently facing issue while trying to update status for Campaign Entity using SetStateRequest in Dynamics 365. The value for were not getting updated.

Eventually we realized that it could be because of SetStateRequest being deprecated now in Dynamics 365 (online).

Updating the code to use UpdateRequest fixed the issue.

Hope it helps..

Dynamics 365 Developer Toolkit – The extension is already installed to all applicable products.

We were getting the below error for projects inside our Dynamics 365 Developer toolkit solution template.

Trying to run the setup brought the following message

The fix was to go to Tools à Extensions and Updates and enable the extension.

Fixed à

Hope it helps..