Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.RegisterAsyncService Action Failed

Hi,

Got this error while installing CRM 4.0.

Two possible resolution for it

http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/2008/01/failure-at-microsoftcrmsetupcommonregis.html
http://blog.kazmarek.com/2008/02/06/crm-40-installation-error-registerasyncserviceaction-failed/

Restarting the server didn’t solve the problem. Than tried rebuilding the performance counter.

To rebuild all Performance counters including extensible and third-party counters in Windows Server 2003, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after each command.

cd\windows\system32
lodctr /R
It also didn’t help. So manually started the async service using domain admin user.
This way i was able to get it installed properly.
Bye…

Author: Nishant Rana

I love working in and sharing everything about Microsoft.NET technology !

2 thoughts on “Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.RegisterAsyncService Action Failed”

  1. Warning:
    The full performance counter rebuild may take considerable time and may not give a complete rebuild. The long proccess is human error prone, too. If you can’t resolve the problem in my short way, do try it or reinstall server.
    Well, first of all, I tried the long way. In the end, counters were still corrupt. I used procmon (microsoft sysinternals tool) to catch the last performance counter registery value before failing.
    I found out the full rebuild, didn’t rebuild the Windows workflow foundation performance counters. Wow, this is actually the most important module that the crmasync uses!
    I saw the counters :
    FirstCounter
    FirstHelp
    LastCounter
    LastHelp

    Are missing there (I probably deleted them in the long proccess), but their rebuild is not in the system32 dir!

    I executed :
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Workflow Foundation>unlodctr perfcounters

    Unable to open driver SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\perfcounters. Status: 2
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Workflow Foundation>lodctr perfcounters.ini

    This added the missing counters.
    (should try crm repair now).

    Generally I believe one should:
    1. export the full registery tree of:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
    Into a file.

    2. Filter out lines that don’t have the word performance in their key name.

    3. Find empty performance entries and performance entries without the first and last counters.

    4. Find their INI file and reload them ( unlodctr , lodctr).

    5. Verify that the load created counter entries in registery.

    Another point: I noticed that CRM doesn’t provide a INI file for rebuilding corrupt perf counters, they use a file called tmp38.tmp . Later I belive they delete it. As if saying : If it’s broke, let repair fix it!
    Maybe it’s a good idea, but I am not sure about it.

    Hope this helps;-)
    I wish a WIN internals guru can confirm this… but it doesn’t stray from the guide lines of the MS KB.

    Dubi

    Like

  2. Warning:
    The full performance counter rebuild may take considerable time and may not give a complete rebuild. The long proccess is human error prone, too. If you can’t resolve the problem in my short way, do try it or reinstall server.
    Well, first of all, I tried the long way. In the end, counters were still corrupt. I used procmon (microsoft sysinternals tool) to catch the last performance counter registery value before failing.
    I found out the full rebuild, didn’t rebuild the Windows workflow foundation performance counters. Wow, this is actually the most important module that the crmasync uses!
    I saw the counters :
    FirstCounter
    FirstHelp
    LastCounter
    LastHelp

    Are missing there (I probably deleted them in the long proccess), but their rebuild is not in the system32 dir!

    I executed :
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Workflow Foundation>unlodctr perfcounters

    Unable to open driver SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\perfcounters. Status: 2
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Workflow Foundation>lodctr perfcounters.ini

    This added the missing counters.
    (should try crm repair now).

    Generally I believe one should:
    1. export the full registery tree of:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
    Into a file.

    2. Filter out lines that don’t have the word performance in their key name.

    3. Find empty performance entries and performance entries without the first and last counters.

    4. Find their INI file and reload them ( unlodctr , lodctr).

    5. Verify that the load created counter entries in registery.

    Another point: I noticed that CRM doesn’t provide a INI file for rebuilding corrupt perf counters, they use a file called tmp38.tmp . Later I belive they delete it. As if saying : If it’s broke, let repair fix it!
    Maybe it’s a good idea, but I am not sure about it.

    Hope this helps;-)
    I wish a WIN internals guru can confirm this… but it doesn’t stray from the guide lines of the MS KB.

    Dubi

    Like

Share your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s